DARK LANDING

DARK LANDING
Welcome to the landing zone

Saturday, September 29, 2012

The Cost of Common Sense


I couldn’t record my weekly radio podcast, the one hour Dark Landing. I have a home recording studio with limited ability to muffle loud bird chirps, overhead airplanes and local dogs, and here somebody was hammering like a crazy man right next door. I went out there and it was some guy beating on the cement sidewalk with a big mallet. Something worse, if you can imagine, I’d met him before. It was my neighbor’s father-in-law, and since he was wrecking my day, I thought I’d at least be bothersome in a minor key way.  I’d have done more if I’d been able to think of something, but I’m never quick enough at social mischief when it’s me on the bubble..

            “It’s really hot out here.”

            He squinted up at me with a look of dusty, sweaty annoyance. “That’s why I waited to start until later in the afternoon.”

            “What do you do in real life?”

            `"Financial services." He gave me a spectacularly annoyed look. How could I blame him? Here I was, wrecking his day.

            “Oh.”

            He reached for his chisel, but I was too fast for him. “Well, as long as you’re here, give me an off-the-top-of-your-head number.”

            “What number?” he frowned, my conversation clearly having the desired effect.

            “Rate of inflation. What’s our current rate of inflation?”

            That stopped him. He set down the mallet and wiped the sweat stinging his eyes. “The rate of inflation is very, very low,” he growled, giving me a look like I should know better. “It has been historically low for several years.”

            “Ohh…Then why is Peter Pan peanut butter selling at five dollars a jar at Albertsons? Last year it was three dollars, and the year before that a dollar ninety nine. Meat, cookies, gas for the car, everything is doubling and tripling.”

            “Christ,” he snarled. “You’re talking about the cost of living.”

            “Oh. That’s different?”

            “Of course it is,” he said, shutting off my nonsense by going back to his hammering.

No comments:

Post a Comment